The Oscar-winning star boasts an impressive career. His next big step: the Web. (More on that later.) Here are some fun facts about the actor.
1. Tom Hanks passed on the role of Andy Dufresne in "The Shawshank Redemption" due to scheduling conflicts with "Forrest Gump." The role of Dufresne was played by Tim Robbins. Instead, Hanks worked on director Frank Darabont's next film, "The Green Mile."
2. If you've ever thought you may have spotted Tom Hanks on the '80s sitcom "Family Ties," you're right. The budding star made three guest appearances on the show, playing an alcoholic named Ned Donnelly.
3. Sally Field has played Hanks's mother as well as his love interest. She appeared as his object of affection in the 1988 movie "Punchline," in which the two portrayed struggling comedians. In 1994, Field played his mother in "Forrest Gump."
4. The A-list movie star will make his Broadway debut in the upcoming play "Lucky Guy," about the late newspaper columnist Mike McAlary. The play about the news business was written by late writer and director, Nora Ephron. Hanks worked with Ephron in two of her movies, "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've Got Mail."
5. The actor is married to Rita Wilson; she is his second wife. The two met on the set of the TV show "Bosom Buddies"; she appeared in one episode. They have two children. Hanks has two children from his first marriage (to Samantha Lewes), as well.
6. Beyond acting, Hanks is a director. He stepped behind the camera for the first time for "That Thing You Do"; he also starred in and wrote the movie. Hanks went on to direct and star in "Larry Crowne."
7. Hanks headed online to team with Yahoo! for his post-apocalyptic animated show, "Electric City." The dystopian thriller features a sci-fi vision of the future, in which a new world order controls energy, information, and freedom. Tom Hanks voices the lead, and the cast also includes Jeanne Tripplehorn, Ginnifer Goodwin, and Holland Taylor.
Watch the first episode. and follow @ElectricCityAMP for more clues.